Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Does love really always win?

"Love wins. Love always wins." --Mitch Albom, Tuesdays With Morrie

But does love really win all the time?

I begin to ask myself this quote while I was reading the book. And then I thought the culture that I have... and him. And so I will rephrase the question, "does love always really win--in my culture?"

Not a day passes by that I think of our situation--how will I tell Papa about us. He is a Filipino. I, on the other hand, half Filipino and half Chinese. Having been grown up in a Chinese culture ever since, especially when Mama died and I transferred to Papa, all I hear about is  "marry someone like "us," "they are totally different from us."

It just saddens me, thinking my father told this to me when in fact he had a relationship with my mother--a Filipina--and loved her dearly.

And then I thought the main character of the story, Morrie. I just wish he's still alive. I could have written a letter to him.

No comments: